New Delhi: Despite their webbed decoration, there’s nothing scary about these sandwich cookies, which are made with chewy chocolate cookies and a cream cheese filling.
- 3/4 tsp. all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 ea. Butter without salt
- 3/4 tsp. Granulated sugar
- 1 C. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 12 oz. Cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. icing sugar
- Orange gel or food coloring paste
- STEP 1- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- STEP 2-vUsing an electric mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes; beat in the egg. Reduce mixer to low heat and gradually add flour mixture, beating until incorporated.
- STEP 3- Transfer the dough to a piece of plastic wrap and shape into an 8” pan. Log. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- STEP 4- Heat the oven to 350°F. Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (you should end up with 28 usable pieces). Place them on ungreased baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 4 minutes. Rotate sheet positions and bake until cookies are set, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Let them cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- STEP 5- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Add icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Transfer 1/2 cup frosting to bowl and color orange; spoon into a resealable plastic bag.
- STEP 6- Divide the remaining frosting between 14 of the cookies and sandwich with the remaining cookies. Cut a small piece off one corner of the bag and lay cobwebs on top of each sandwich.