* PLUS cooling time
Produced by Radiyah Chowdhury, Irene Ngo and Aimee Nishitoba; Photography by Erik Putz; food styling by Michelle Rabin; Paper art by Ali Harrison of Light + Paper
“This recipe is special to us because it started on our menu when we were vendors at the Aurora Farmer’s Market, before we even opened our doors. This is our version of a holiday sugar cookie. We believe the browned butter, along with a generous amount of salt and vanilla, gives it extra depth. It’s also a great basic recipe to mix up with whatever sprinkles and ingredients you love. —Megan Fisher, Owner, Newmarket, Ont.
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour, (240 g)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (144 g)
1/2 cup granulated sugar, (96 g)
1 tablespoon vanilla or vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
3 tablespoons mixed red, white and green nuggets
- Place the rack in the center of the oven, then preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt 10 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often with a heatproof spatula, until the milk solids have turned medium-dark brown and the butter begins to smell nutty, 5-7 min. Pour the brown butter into a large bowl. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the brown butter. Stir until melted. Set aside and let cool slightly, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour with the baking soda in a small bowl. Put aside.
- Whisk the two sugars, vanilla and salt into the melted butter. Vigorously stir in egg and yolk until well blended. Leave to rest for 5 mins. Then whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. Continue this cycle until mixture is pale and thick, 1 or 2 more times.
- Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture until only a few streaks of flour remain. Add the nuggets, then stir until combined and no traces remain. (Be careful not to overmix.) Take 2 tablespoon portions of batter and arrange them 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the cookies are just golden around the edges, about 8 min. (Middles of cookies will be slightly puffy; they may have a little “bubble” and look slightly undercooked, but they will harden as they cool.) Transfer cookies to wire rack; let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.