This peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe was originally made by Sarah, when she took on a cookie challenge. I have since adapted it and added more details. It’s based on the super easy 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies, but with a few delicious twists!
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are chunky style
Unlike the classic flourless peanut butter recipe, this one uses crunchy peanut butter, contains double the eggs, and is fortified with dairy-free chocolate chips. There aren’t many variables, as there are only five ingredients in this Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip recipe. But I still have some notes and options for you.
- Eggs: Unlike the classic 3-ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe, this version uses two eggs. They definitely don’t taste like eggs. I actually think adding a second egg solves some of the texture issues with the classic recipe. That said, I do not recommend using an egg substitute for this recipe. They tend not to work well. If you’re confusing eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are eggs dairy?
- Choice of peanut butter: I used Natural Peanut Butter with Skippy Chunks, which is a lightly salted, unmixed variety. Sarah often recommends a natural “no stir” peanut butter spread for baking, and I think that helps in this recipe.
- Peanut Butter Alternatives: Yes, you can substitute creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or even sunflower seed butter for nut-free butter. In fact, this is a great recipe for sunflower seed butter. When cooked with baking soda, sunflower seed butter creates a harmless (seriously!) greenish tint. Since this recipe does not contain added sourdough, the cookies will not turn green!
Special Dietary Notes: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free/dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. See notes above for peanut-free options.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (made with Crunchy PB)
Author: Alisa Fleming
Type of recipe: Dessert
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used a natural variety, without stirring, lightly salted)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, or more if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, sugar, eggs and salt until combined. Add the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. They spread out a bit.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before carefully placing them on a wire rack to cool completely. They will firm up as they cool.
More Dairy and Gluten Free Cookie Recipes
Oatmeal Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Hypoallergenic Double Chocolate Cookies
Award Winning Cinnamon Sugar Cookies