OOur original double chocolate cookie with a gooey Nutella center. This recipe is so versatile: you can leave it plain or stuff it with any chocolate spread you like. Reheat the cookies for 30 seconds in the microwave on full power once cooled or, even better, enjoy them straight out of the oven. These cookies don’t last very long in our bakery – our team brings them back almost every day too!
Preparation time: 2 hours 30 minutes including freezing | Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 12 tablespoons of Nutella
- 250g unsalted butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 175g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 550g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 10g cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 500g milk chocolate chips, plus extra for top
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Drop 12 individually stacked tablespoons of Nutella onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer for a few hours until frozen solid. These will be the toppings for the cookies; freezing prevents them from leaking out.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas 7.
- Place the butter in a blender (or use an electric hand whisk) and blend on medium speed until smooth and light in color.
- Add both sugars, eggs and egg yolk, and beat together until combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together.
- Weigh the cookie dough into 12 portions of 150g each and roll into balls.
- Divide each scoop in half and squeeze a scoop of frozen Nutella into the middle. Press the two halves together again and roll into a firm ball.
- Place balls on lined baking sheets and flatten slightly. Add chocolate chips on top of cookies.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. (If cooking in batches, refrigerate until ready to cook.) Let cool on sheets.
Finch Bakery Recipe: Sweet Homemade Treats and Showstopper Celebration Cakes by Lauren and Rachel Finch (DK, £20), available from The Telegraph Library