170g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon fine salt
120g butter, room temperature
170g brown sugar
100g white sugar
120 g well mixed tahini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg, room temperature
200g 70-80% dark chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
flaked sea salt such as Murray River flaked salt
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and fine salt and set aside.
2. Beat together the butter, sugars and tahini in the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer on medium speed for 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is light in color and seems light and airy. Add vanilla extract and egg and beat to combine. Turn off the machine and add the dry ingredients to the bowl, then turn the machine on low and mix just to incorporate. Turn off the machine and stir in the chocolate.
3. Cover and refrigerate mixture for 6 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 160 C in forced ventilation mode (180 C conventional). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Take pieces of dough weighing about 50-55 g each and place no more than 8 balls per tray, spaced out as much as possible. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with a pinch of sea salt.
6. Bake for 13-16 minutes until the edges of the cookies just start to caramelize. Remember to reverse the position of the plates halfway through cooking so that they cook evenly. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet before serving.
Collection: Our best cookie recipes
How? ‘Or’ What: Danielle Alvarez’s guide to using salt in your kitchen
More recipes from Danielle Alvarez