As we head into cookie season, I want to make sure everyone can treat themselves, even kids in nut-free school zones. So I looked to Libby, the blogger behind The allergic child, who is an expert pastry chef in antiallergic biscuits. She created the award-winning recipe of a great RATE / Divvies cookie contest several years ago, and his Choco-lot Brownie Cookie hit the market! She also whipped up this fabulous Peanut Free Vegan SunButter Cookies (aka Sunblossom Cookies) recipe to share with us!
These SunButter vegan cookies are safe for school and ready to share.
Libby originally passed this recipe on to us over a decade ago. We recently updated the post, but we’ve stuck with its unique formula of Vegan Sun Butter Cookies.
This is an egg, dairy, nut, and peanut free version of a classic peanut butter cross cookie that I developed for my son with multiple food allergies. For that peanutty taste, I used Sunbutter to replace peanut butter. Bananas have proven to be a fantastic egg substitute, and let me take the fat down a notch. The chocolate chip version doesn’t look like the original since the cookies aren’t flattened with the criss-cross style, but they are just to die for.
Special Dietary Notes: SunButter Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free/dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten free vegan sun butter cookies, you can try replacing the flour with your favorite gluten-free flour blend, but we haven’t tested it yet.
SunButter Vegan Cookies (aka SunBlossom Cookies)
Author: Libby Ilson
Type of recipe: Dessert
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter spread or sticks
- 1 perfectly ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup allergen-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sunflower seed butter, sugars, and dairy-free butter with a mixer until smooth. Add banana, vanilla and lemon juice and beat until fully incorporated and no banana chunks remain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- With your mixer on low, gradually add the wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips (if using).
- Put some sugar on a plate. Drop balls of dough (about 2 tablespoons each) into the sugar and roll gently until covered.
- Place the sugar coated dough balls on your prepared baking sheets. If you didn’t add chocolate chips, press the balls of dough twice with a fork to create a criss-cross pattern on top.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheets for about 10 minutes to firm them up, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
Portion: 1 cookie calories: 118 Big: 6.6g Saturated fat: .9g Carbohydrates: 12.7g Sugar: 6.5g Sodium: 62mg Fiber: .8g Protein: 2.3g
More Peanut-Free, Nut-Free Vegan Cookie Recipes
Sweet potato cookies
Lemon Iced Cookies
Imperfect Mom Chocolate Chip Cookies